Now, I really want to do something different with my portrait backgrounds but I feel like they should be looser and I don’t know how to do that yet. A little searching on YouTube led me to Enjoy Art’s tutorial. I tried my best to follow along.
What I learned:
- That you really can use just three primary colors and two brushes
- I prefer drawing with pencil before painting
- I can use the reference photo as a jumping off point
- It doesn’t have to be so labored to feel dimensional and alive, in fact, it feels more alive this way.
- I like seeing the strokes and blooms but I’m still uncertain about the more traditional watercolor “style.”
- I do like the organic edge