- Shift away from dead center
- Emphasize lighting
- Diagonals are super helpful because they have direction; versus vertical and horizontal lines which are stable
- Negative space: example Barry Moser, Kara Walker
- 3/4 view or cast shadows that create their own mass (to offset something that would be dead center)
- Look at a portrait through an abstract lens (fights the emotional baggage)
- Start by blocking large areas of space, paint everything in relationship to other things, address the whole thing; don’t linger on one area. Keep moving.
- Don’t use measurement systems. Measure with our eyes!
- The angle/tilt of the head/posture, orientation ala Modigliani or Jenny Seville
- surface and texture (Leon Golub)
So many ways to open up narrative possibilities, even in just head, neck, and shoulders. Much much more than eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Watch self-portrait tutorial
- Do self-portraits in sketchbook every day, even if it’s just 5 min.
- Draw from life while in MN